Klyn Nurseries was founded in 1921 by Gerard Klyn in Mentor, Ohio. The primary crop was roses which remained a part of production and sales until 1972. Today there is no commercial production of Tea roses in Ohio.
The Perry location was purchased in 1960 to help diversify the product line with special emphasis on production of Taxus.
After Gerard Klyn passed away in 1966, the Mentor properties were sold. The 256-acre Perry location is what remains of the original nursery. At that time there was a staff of 14, approximately 50 acres of field production, less than 3 acres of container production and an offering of 83 varieties.
Today Klyn Nurseries produces over 500 acres of crops in the field and 40 acres of containers. The inventory has increased to over 1600 varieties of plants of which 80-90% is propagated internally.
Propagation is done by soft and hardwood cuttings, seed, divisions and grafting. The balance is produced from purchased liners or directly as finished plants for resale.