Nurseries was founded in 1921 by Gerard Klyn in Mentor,
Ohio. The primary crop was roses
which remained a part of production and sales until 1972. Today there
is no commercial production
of Tea roses in Ohio.
The Perry location was purchased in 1960 to help diversify the product
line with special emphasis
on production of Taxus.
After Gerard Klyn passed away in 1966, the Mentor properties were sold.
The 256-acre Perry location
is what remains of the original nursery. At that time there was a staff
of 14, approximately
50 acres of field production, less than 3 acres of container production
and an offering of 83